JOHN JAMES GALLAGHER
- Tufts University, Medford, MA
- Bachelor of Arts – History and computer science, expected 2018
- Dean’s List
COMPUTER SCIENCE COURSEWORK
- Computer Science 10 – Simple Robotics
- Computer Science 11 – Introduction to Computer Science
- Computer Science 15 – Data Structures
- Computer Science 20 – Web Programming
- Computer Science 23 – Game Development
- Computer Science 40 - Machine Structure and Assembly Language Programming
- Computer Science 61 - Discrete Mathematics
- Computer Science 120 - Web Engineering
- Computer Science 170 - Computation Theory
Software Engineering Intern - Wayfair - Summer 2017
Worked on the Storefront Promotions Team as a full-stack developer.
implemented new functionality both internally and on customer-facing pages and apps.
Converted customer-facing pages to use React.js by completing both front and back end refactors.
Fixed long-standing bugs in existing code.
Software Engineering Intern - Trumpit - Summer 2016
Designed and implemented a test suite for the Trumpit picture messaging app to enable regression testing on new releases.
Created prototype web client for Trumpit.
Discovered and documented several security flaws in the Trumpit server.
Manually tested new features, finding bugs and working with developers to reproduce those bugs.
Teaching Assistant - Computer Science 20, Web Programming – Fall 2015 - Present
Worked individually with students directly on homework assignments, helping them see paths to overcoming technical hurdles they faced without explicitly giving them the answer.
Graded homework assignments.
Answered student questions in online class forum (Piazza).
Conducted brief guest lecture on templating every semester.
Also worked during the summer of 2016 as sole teaching assistant for first online version of this popular class, where I held office hours remotely via Skype in addition to regular TA duties.
The MakerGames - Spring - Summer 2017
- Implemented a web-based version of The MakerGames, an educational board game designed by Matthew Mueller using open source HTML5 game framework Phaser.js. The MakerGames is “a digital board game designed to help teachers manage their resources and introduce engineering design content as students engage in open ended design challenges.”
Maester - Summer 2016
- Co-created (along with Joe Campbell ) a wrapper for the Appium open source test automation framework that allows developers to easily run unit tests on multiple Android devices in series.
Dotahook – creator/developer - Summer 2015
- Created a website that provides a searchable database of new-player-friendly guides for the video game Dota 2 by Valve software. I was the sole developer on the project. In addition to implementing all technical aspects of the service, I worked with highly skilled players of Dota 2 in order to ensure that the guides on Dotahook are of high quality and reflect the current metagame.
- JumboCode - Project Lead, Fall 2017
- Tufts Daily - Arts Editor, Fall 2017
- Tufts Daily - Arts Editor, Spring 2017
- Tufts Daily - Arts Editor, Fall 2016
- Tufts Daily - Executive Arts Editor, Spring 2016
- Tufts Daily - Assistant Arts Editor, Fall 2015.
- Tufts Leonard Carmichael Society - Volunteer Writing Tutor, Fall 2014 – Spring 2015
- Mongo DB
- Linux web server setup / maintenance